Sunday, July 18, 2021

 Commissioned work...

"Bomba!"  (acrylic, 36x36")


MKEDowntown commissioned me to paint live at Red Arrow Park on Saturday, July 17. The intent of their grant is to support more art creation and exposure in the downtown area. It was a perfect day to paint outside. Many people stopped to ask questions and to comment on my progress. Calling upon my Puerto Rican roots, the dancer is performing a Bomba dance, influenced by the drums and movements of African slaves brought to the island in the 1500s. Traditionally done in white dress, some dances have bursts of color. My hope was to play with movement. Struggling to do just that, I restarted this piece three times before settling on the image above. As a result, what should have been a one-day painting activity, ended up taking me into the next day.  Hopefully I achieved a bit of cultural representation. It was a pleasure to create this piece which will be auctioned off during a fundraiser of the Milwaukee Downtown BID to raise funds for a local homeless shelter.  -Erico



No comments:

Post a Comment